I’d never made a lemon cake before last weekend despite it being one of my favourites, oh heck! who am I kidding? nearly all cake is my favourite that’s why I’m not a size 8. But after getting sick last week with a cold I was left with a glut of lemons, so I decided to make a lemon cake.
I opted for this one from Lorraine Pascale which was featured in the ‘good to know’ magazine as it sounded quite delicious and healthy too at 159 calories a slice. I have to say the second one I made came out better than the first but was still delicious all the same. I’ve altered the recipe slightly as I like my lemon cake a bit zingier and used dairy free spread so I think it could be lower in calories still.
- 75g butter (I used dairy free spread)
- 100g caster sugar
- 165g self raising flour
- 2 eggs + 1 egg white
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4 tsp fat free greek yoghurt
For the icing
- 50g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4. Grease a 1kg loaf tin and then line it with parchment paper or use cake liners like I did.
- 2. Beat together the butter and sugar until combined, then add the eggs, egg white and Greek yoghurt until quite smooth.
- 3. Add in the flour, baking powder, vanilla extract, lemon zest and juice. Mix all together until combined and then spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and bake for 20-25 minutes although I did mine for just over 30. Put a skewer in the cake and if it comes out clean it should be ready.
- 4. Leave the cake to cool down and start getting the icing ready and then put aside for later.
- 5. Once the cake is completely cooled, pour the icing over the top.